Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Unshakeable-Chapter 2

Hi friends!
I am back to share more notes with you from the amazing book Unshakeable by Angela Watson. Check out my previous posts here and here. Today's post is rather short, but that doesn't mean this chapter isn't FULL of great information. Chapter 2 is all about using your time and energy wisely by making productive routines. I found myself needing some of this advice yesterday as I worked in my classroom to get things ready for the year ahead. I caught myself several times jumping from one task to another without completing the first. I stopped to look at the internet for some bulletin board ideas, then got sidetracked by checking my email, looking at Pinterest boards, and well from there...you know it's downhill as far as getting ANYTHING done. However, I remembered what I had read in this chapter and was able to get back focused on the reason I was there and accomplished so much in such a short period of time.

One of the main keys Angela mentions at the beginning of the chapter is that "we have to let go of the misperception that working longer hours means we're accomplishing more or that we're more dedicated to the profession." She goes on to ask the question, "How many hours do you really work at school?" These are questions to definitely think about. I know my routine pretty much looks like the following: get to school early, go to the cafeteria to get tea/coffee, stop and talk to a few people, check my mailbox, talk to a few more people, then it's time for the day to start. The afternoons are pretty similar...usually I talk, check my email, reply to email, straighten things up, then it's time to go home.

I work with some of the BEST people ever, so it's hard to not get caught up in conversation a lot, but often that leaves me bringing work home, stressing about the next day or week of plans, and feeling like I accomplished nothing as far as my to-do list goes each day. Angela gives LOTS of great advice in Chapter 2 about how to use your time to de-stress, how to prioritize your to-do list, and how to schedule certain tasks for certain parts of the day to make your day most effective. I love this chapter. It is probably one I will read over and over again as I try to make the most of my time this school year. I have 2 babies at home and I am always anxious to get home to them after school each day, but I know I will feel a lot better and be able to spend more quality time with them if I have accomplished all that I need to at school.

What about you? What are some goals you have this year to make the most of the hours you are at school?


No comments:

Post a Comment