Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My FIRST blog post



Well, here goes nothing...I have stalked followed many members of the blog world for quite a while now, and have finally decided to give this blogging thing a shot. If for no other reason, I am excited that this blog will give me a place to keep my thoughts, ideas, and activities/lessons organized. I have found so many helpful ideas through following other teacher bloggers, and who knows...maybe, just maybe, I might have some helpful tips to share as well! :) Before I go any further, I must give a HUGE thank you to Megan at A Bird in Hand Designs for designing this blog for me. She was so easy to work with, it is obvious she loves what she does, and she was quick to help this "newbie" with any questions or concerns I had. Check out her page...especially if you feel your blog needs a little sprucing up. :)

Ok, back to the basics of me...my name is Nikki and I teach in a very small town in South Carolina. I have taught for 9 years and have loved every minute of it, but have truly found my passion for teaching in the last year. Not to say I haven't always loved what I do, but this past year has been the icing on the cake as far as feeling at home, in my element, and right where I belong! I have spent the majority of my teaching years teaching 3rd grade, but my heart has found its home at a new school in 5th grade this year. I now teach 5th Grade ELA and Social Studies to 2 separate classes each day. I love, love, love what I do! Next year things will change up a bit as I teach one block of Read 180 (more on that later), one block of ELA and two blocks of Social Studies, but I feel sure I am going to be just as happy and at home as I have been this year.

My life is not just awesome because I have a job I love, but it is especially awesome because I have a wonderful family I love, too! I have been married to my sweet husband for 3 years. We met through an online dating service...kinda strange, but it turned out well :) He has a 16 year old daughter that I now get to claim, and together we have a 2 year old little boy and a little girl who is about to be 1. There are 14 months between the babies, so I can promise you things get a little crazy around our house sometimes! It's a fun crazy though and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
The name of my blog is pretty self explanatory...I wanted to link together the three most important things in my life which are obviously my faith, my family, and teaching (thus, Faith, Family & 5th). I wouldn't be who I am today and wouldn't have made it through many parts of my life without my faith. I believe a strong, solid family is a foundation that no one can break, and I pray my passion for teaching and helping students LOVE to read is obvious each day!

I am nervous, but excited about this little journey I am about to embark upon within the blogging world. I have learned so much and am so thankful for many people/teachers that I may never meet. I hope I can look back one day and know that I helped someone along the way and that this blog will be one venue for providing help, support, inspiration, or just my thoughts! And so, without further adieu...

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So exciting! Your blog looks awesome -- I'm super jealous! :)
    I'm going to add you to my RSS Feed right now so I can "stalk" you...hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it, too! I wish I could take the credit for it, but Megan did an awesome job! You definitely need to get on Instagram and get your blog out there in the social media world because you always have AWESOME ideas and the cutest creations!!

      Delete
  2. I came across your blog while looking at Megan's designs. I'm hoping to start blogging soon too but first I want a pretty blog like yours :) I too teach fifth grade but all the way across the US in Nevada. I'm excited to follow you and see all your wonderful ideas. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! So sorry I am just now getting back to you...we have been on vacation and I didn't check my email or comments while there 😯. I am so pleased with the blog design Megan did for me! Now, my summer goal is to get to posting!!!! I wanted it up before summer, so I could really get into a consistent habit of posting before school starts back next year. Keep me updated on your blogging journey. I would love to share ideas back and forth! 💗

      Delete